Monday, July 16, 2018

Week 49 - Ibarra - No, no tengo un bebe

This week, I learned a lot. First, let's start off with a little bit of background. I didn't hear much about Venezuela before my mission, but from what I have heard, things are getting pretty rough there, with money and work. From a result of that, many have migrated to other countries, including here in Ibarra. When I first got here, I met a Venezuelan that literally walked from his city to here just to find work to get enough money for him and his family. Let's just say, it is not a short stroll in the park. He has suffered a lot. I also met another Venezuelan that has a similar story. Well, I didn't know how bad it was for them. Yesterday, the first Venezuelan I mentioned told us he was leaving because he needs to find a better job. He mentioned how he had struggled with cancer in his stomach and how he felt the love and friendship amoung this ward. It was very touching and I know we all realized just how real and hard it is for these brothers to leave everything (family, house, etc.) and walk with only a suitcase to a new country where people from that same coutry has to wait more than a year to recieve a visa. I know I am immensly greatful for the blessings I have recieved. I don't why these things happen to good people, but it is comforting to see that they are still good people and are still enduring to the end to see our Master again.

Now to the title. I know, it sounds wierd, and it was in the moment as well. You might remember when I said that people think I am old here (25-35). Well, we were in an appointment and the mother, who is a bit more elderly, asked (with determination that is was true) is I have a child back in the States. Well, no. And, from shock, I couldn't really say more. 

We also, this week, had many delightful discussion about some very profound doctrines. It was interesting and mind opening (and blowing). We also had a good lesson about our potential and the power of small and simple things. We talked about bamboo. Bamboo can grow meters in days and when someone cuts it, grows back. It can withstand strong winds, extreme temperatures, etc. Very strong and firm. However, when someone plants a bamboo seed, there will not be a hint of life until seven years. Now, why is that? During those long, but very important, seven years, the sed is planting very large roots into the ground. How does that compare to us. We have to do the small and simple things: reading scriptures, saying prayers, attending church, having Family Home Evening, ministering, paying tithing, magnifying calling, etc. in order to be strong. However, that fruit will take time. It may take ten years. Maybe fifteen. Possibly twenty. But, it will come if we continue nurishing our faith. I know that that is something I have seen throughout my life. It is extrememly important to do the small things, because "by small and simple things are great things come to pass" as taught by Alma the Younger and recently by President Oaks. 

I love you all and hope you all enjoy the summer! 

Our view of Ibarra

My 4th of July clothes.

The hamburgers we made

ago de Cuicocha (is it just me or does the bigger island look like tafiti from Moana?)

Our Zone

Me, cooking. Or should I say being cooked

*Just so you know, we are in proselyting clothes because we should be in those clothes during P-Day if we aren't doing an activity where it wouldn't be appropriate. We didn't want to play soccer after, so some are in nice clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment